Developer backs out of ex-warden flats sale

MoJ confirms negotiations have come to an end

Monday, 27th June — By Charlotte Chambers

wellington prison warden flats WhatsApp Image 2021-05-13 at 14.12.08

The properties in Wellington Mews

THE future of a series of former prison warden flats owned by the Ministry of Justice that have been empty for more than a decade is up in the air after the developer interested in buying the land pulled out.

The news that Wellington Mews Ltd has withdrawn from a deal with the MoJ to buy the land in Wellington Mews backing on to Pentonville Prison was met with “delight” by housing campaigners who have lobbied the government to give the land over to Islington Council in order to build desperately needed council homes for the thousands on the waiting list.

Up until last month the MoJ was still in “negotiations” with the private developer, however a spokesperson said this week that they had now pulled out of the deal.

Islington Homes for All campaigner Debbie Humphrey said: “Low income households and many key workers can only access housing near their work, support networks and jobs and families via social housing.”

Labour councillor Diarmaid Ward, deputy leader of the council, said that the MoJ should know his “door was always open” and called on them to return the flats to Islington.

“It’s absolutely shameful they’ve left that housing empty for a decade or more,” Cllr Ward added.

Related Articles