Police set to probe ‘school wars’ posts on social media

TikTok videos featuring knives encourage violence between pupils at rival secondaries

Saturday, 21st February — By Isabel Loubser

TikTok school wars

PARENTS have told of their fear sending children to school as TikTok posts encouraging violence between pupils at rival secondaries rack up thousands of views and likes.

Last week videos began circulating which encouraged teenagers to attack students at neighbouring schools, with weapons that include compasses, metal combs, and rulers and the instruction “be violent”.

“I was freaking out and thinking ‘should I send them to school’,” said mum Alicia Perez, who lives in Highbury. “I was worried about what could happen to them, or that they could get caught in the middle without intending to. You don’t know what will happen, it’s really scary.”

Parents were contacted by the headteachers of the schools listed, who informed them that there would be an increased police presence.

The videos first listed schools in Hackney, but have since spread to boroughs across London, including Islington.

Some parents told the Tribune that they tried to report the posts to TikTok but were told that the videos – some of which had pictures of knives – did not breach community guidelines.

“Why isn’t TikTok picking up that there are blades in the photo and the words ‘use violence’? Why isn’t that immediately rejected?”, said another mother, whose child attends a school near Old Street, but did not wish to be named.

“These should be barred from getting posted in the first instance, but even when they are up, there is no one you can contact to take it down”, she added.

TikTok declined to comment but the Tribune understands that the social media platform removed the original posts after being alerted to them by the Metropolitan Police. TikTok’s community guidelines state that the site does not allow “threats, glorifying violence, or promoting crimes that could harm people, animals or property”.

Police did not confirm whether there had been any real-life incidents arising from the TikTok videos, but said that it would be increasing its presence in the area.

A spokesperson for the Met police said: “We are aware of these social media posts and are making enquiries to identify those responsible. We will take a robust approach to any violence and use our powers under anti-social behaviour laws to deal with groups intent on disorder.

“We are working closely with our partners in local schools and the council and would also like to reassure people in Hackney that we will be increasing patrols in the area.”

Related Articles